When you hear the word pollution, you probably think of smog-filled cities. But did you know that the air inside your home can be up to 100 times more polluted? Homeowners in Shepherdsville, Kentucky, spend about 90 percent of their time indoors. To breathe clean and healthy air, you must maintain good indoor air quality. Read on to learn five simple steps you can take to breathe cleaner air in your home.
Change Your HVAC Filter
Did you know that a dirty HVAC filter can negatively impact not only energy efficiency but also indoor air quality? To maintain high energy efficiency and healthy indoor air quality, you must change your HVAC filter every 30 to 90 days.
A dirty HVAC filter will:
- Trap fewer particle pollutants.
- Let more particle pollutants into your HVAC system.
- Let more particle pollutants recirculate in your home’s air supply.
- Strain your HVAC system and increase the risk of a breakdown.
- Cause your HVAC system to use more energy to heat and cool your home.
- Increase repair, energy and even medical costs.
- Impact your quality of sleep and overall health.
Schedule an IAQ Inspection
If you experience allergy-like symptoms while inside your home and they go away when you’re outside, your home likely has poor air quality. But there’s no way of knowing for certain unless you schedule a professional indoor air quality inspection. By doing so, you’ll know which devices you need to add to your home to enjoy cleaner air.
Install the Air Scrubber Plus
Originally developed n cooperation with NASA for use at the International Space Station, the Air Scrubber Plus is now available for homeowners. This whole-home air purification system is more than 50 times more effective than your HVAC filter, working around the clock to remove odors, reduce pollutants, protect equipment and make you feel better. Here are some of the benefits of installing the Air Scrubber Plus in your Shepherdsville, Kentucky home:
- Attaches easily to your HVAC system’s ductwork.
- Reduces the risk of Sick Building Syndrome.
- Requires 18 watts of electricity, which is less than a 32-inch LED TV.
- Designed and manufactured in the United States.
- Uses proprietary light waves and specialized catalytic process.
Invest in HVAC Maintenance
Regular HVAC maintenance is critical to making sure you breathe cleaner air inside your home. During a maintenance service, an HVAC professional will make sure your heating or cooling system is operating as it should. That includes repairing any developing issues that could be hindering energy efficiency or indoor air quality.
Add Some Indoor Plants
NASA conducted a clean air study in 1989 to find ways to purify the air in space stations. The study found that certain indoor plants can absorb carbon dioxide, release oxygen through photosynthesis and provide a natural way of removing volatile organic pollutants. It suggested that a homeowner could achieve efficient air cleaning by placing at least one of the following plants per 100 square feet of space:
- English ivy (Hedera helix).
- Peace lily (Spathiphyllum ‘Mauna Loa’).
- Parlour Palm (Chamaedorea elegans).
- Lady Palm (Rhapis excelsa).
- Florist’s chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium).
- And many more!
Remember that some plants are toxic for pets like cats and dogs. So if you have a furry friend in your home, make sure the plant you’re adding is non-toxic. Otherwise, you risk your pet chewing on the plant and becoming ill.
Don’t let poor indoor air quality impact your comfort and health. Contact KY Energy Pro, Inc. today to learn more about how you can improve your IAQ so that you can enjoy cleaner air. We look forward to helping you and your family.